Sunday, April 21, 2013

Coconut red lentil curry

Carried to Wellness was created to keep me inspired in my journey to wellness. I strive to eat a clean, nutrient dense diet to keep my family and myself as healthy as possible. I hope my adventures in the kitchen encourage you as much as it keeps me accountable.

Year around farmers market is one of the reasons I miss California the most. When I am in town visiting family, the San Clemente farmers market is always on the schedule. Today I found delicious purple potatoes there. Purple potatoes have been cultivated about 8,000 years in South America in the high planes around Lake Titicaca. The deep purple color comes from the antioxidant anthocyanin, which can also be found in red wine, berries and other blue and purple produce. This flavonoid has been found to aid in the prevention of certain cancers and boosts immunity.

The average family relies on just nine recipes. Although I try to add new meals regularly, coconut curry makes a very regular appearance on our dinner table. It tastes even better the second day and freezes well. A large batch can easily be stretched for several quick meals. The base of this recipe is red lentils, onion, garlic, coconut milk, garam masala and curry powder. Depending on the season, I add what veggies are available. Today we used those wonderful purple potatoes and spinach. We ended up with a high fiber, nutrient dense meal, cooked in one pot for a simple meal and clean up.




4 comments:

  1. Keep coming with the ideas, I , for one, am learning a whole new
    world with food. I am trying to remove the 7 things I shouldn't eat.
    Can't always remember all of them and remind my self through out the day. I need the reminders. Thanks for the insight to other foods.
    Cleveland Oh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made this when I visited and it was yummy! Nan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie-
    We have made this twice now since I read your post. It is so easy and adaptable. I have been using tumeric instead of curry powder because that's what I had on had and it is wonderful. Great way to use some of our summer CSA greens. I'll be making the kale salad next!
    Nicki (RFMDG)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! The summer CSA along with my massive garden will certainly inspire many more recipes that I hope you will also enjoy.

      Delete