Sunday, April 21, 2013

Five spice noodles

Tonight, like most nights, I had my wonderful little sous chef helping prepare dinner. Using different spices helps make the same veggies seem new and exciting. When D helps in the preparation, he is always more excited to try what he helped make. I can't wait to start our garden so we can bring that to a whole new level! Growing our own food is going to be such an adventure for all of us (if spring ever comes in Wisconsin).

Chinese five spice is a blend of star anise, clove, pepper, fennel and cinnamon. This makes a very exotic tasting dish using common veggies. Since we are visiting family, I used our Oil Core Skillet to make our meal. Onions, ginger and garlic were cut in the #2 cone as the first layer. Next I added the vermicelli noodles (I have also successfully used chow mien or rice noodles). Next came carrots and zucchini again cut on the #2 cone with the assistance of my wonderful helper. Savoy cabbage topped off the veggies along with a generous sprinkle of Chinese five spice and Bragg amino acids (if you need some heat add srirach). To give the noodles enough liquid to rehydrate, I added about 1/3 cup of alkaline water. Declan is a huge fan of tofu so we added some cubes of sprouted extra firm tofu also. Medium-click-low and its ready to go in about 10 minutes in Saladmaster.
This is a cheap quick meal that we enjoy often. It's way healthier than Chinese carryout!



No comments:

Post a Comment